- Include a photo of the front and back of the machine with annotation numbers added.
- Annotation list should include things like which NIC is which, which serial port is which but doesn’t need to be silly and include which one is the power plug. :)
- It should include the MAC address and IP address settings for each NIC.
- Serial port info should include “has getty @ Speed(n81)”
- We have remote serial at SCL but not at MSP, so for MSP you will probably want to have a system that supports IPMI or some other ethernet based console.
If shipping disks non-mounted (say in a nice padded pelican case) of course you should document the correct mounting positions.
Some configuration suggestions for shipping machines
- Having one NIC setup for DHCP is probably a good idea.
- Setting up a dynamic dns account may also be a good idea.
We still need to document what kind of hardware is required in our racks.
Open a request
- Coordinate with someone a date that they can go to the datacenter to deploy your system.
- There is a 3 day window once the shipment arrives for someone to pick up the shipment before it gets returned to sender so make sure to have someone available and ready and a date agreed on that they’ll go and deploy.
- If the person deploying the system is going to do so outside of business hours you’ll need to request that the Equinix ticket be updated to reflect the date that the person is going to fetch the shipment because the Equinix site staff will need to enable the 24/7 security guard to get to the package. Ensure in this scenario that the person fetching the package after hours has the Equinix ticket number and can provide it to the security guard.
- Package and label your system in order to ship it to
IO Cooperative Inc. - Cage # 062070 C/O Equinix SV6 444 Toyama Drive Sunnyvale, CA 94089
- Hand your package off to any carrier other than the US Postal Service (as USPS won’t delivery to Equinix’s loading dock) and obtain both the tracking number for the shipment and the estimated arrival date.
- IMMEDIATELY open a support ticket or update the one you already have open indicating that there is an inbound shipment, providing
- The carrier name
- The tracking number
- The estimated arrival date of the package that the carrier provided you
- The number of boxes
- If the shipment is “oversized”
- The name, email address and phone number of the person who needs to be notified when the shipment arrives so they can come deploy the system
The reason this ticket needs to be opened immediately is that IO Coop ops needs to use this information to open a ticket in the Equinix ticketing system and that Equinix ticket must be opened at least 24 hours before the package arrives
IO Cooperative, Inc, c/o Honeycomb Internet Services 77 13th Ave. NE Suite 210 Minneapolis, MN 55413
When your gear arrives, we’ll have to arrange for someone to rack it. IRC or the members list is the best place to start.